01 Feb 2018
BBVA’s digital customers are increasing in number, are more satisfied and interact more with the bank. In fact, the bank has reached its digital tipping point, at which more than 50 percent of its customers are using the bank’s digital channels in six countries (Spain, the United States, Turkey, Argentina, Chile and Venezuela). It’s a milestone that foreseeably will be reached this year by more of the countries where BBVA operates. Indeed in Davos last week, BBVA Group Executive Chairman Francisco González predicted the Group’s customer base as a whole will pass the 50 percent tipping point in 2018.
One in every three sales of BBVA products in December 2017 was done through digital channels. Two years ago, in December 2015, only one in every 10 sales was digital. Beyond income and profits, the Group’s digital transformation stands as one of the key takeaways of its year-end earnings report. “2017 was a good year for BBVA,” said Group Executive Chairman Francisco González.
These are the key takeaways of BBVA’s economic performance in 2017:
09 Jan 2018
In accordance with accounting regulation, BBVA will make an adjustment in its accounts regarding its stake in communications provider Telefónica. This entry does not involve any cash outflow, nor does it have any impact on the bank’s capital ratio or the payment of dividends. The adjustment will be reflected in the income statement for Q4-17.
27 Oct 2017
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
27 Sep 2017
BBVA’s Board of Directors resolved today to approve the payment of an interim dividend for 2017, for a gross amount of €0.09 per share, to be paid on October 10.
24 Apr 2017
Now that the reporting season in the banking sector is underway, it may be the right time to take a look at some of the most commonly used, but more frequently misunderstood, financial terms. One of these terms is the expression “positive jaws,” which is used, for example, by BBVA CEO Carlos Torres Vila during the results presentations.
21 Mar 2017
After the approval of last year’s financial statements in the Annual General Meeting, BBVA is releasing the most relevant information of the year in its report, BBVA in 2016. The report offers a clear and intuitive overview of the Group’s strategy and performance highlights in 2016, with a special focus on the most relevant issues for BBVA’s stakeholders.
02 Feb 2017
Industry analysts reacted positively to the annual results announced by BBVA, which beat consensus estimates. Lower-than-expected loan-loss provisions, solid net interest income at Group level and Mexico’s overall good performance, the banking activity in Spain and the U.S. were the year’s highlights for analyst firms.
01 Feb 2017
Speaking at BBVA’s 2016 results presentation, Francisco González said that after 10 years of working on the Group’s transformation, progress is becoming increasingly evident for the bank’s customers. And how is that showing? In new digital services and products with a better user experience.
04 Feb 2016
BBVA announced its earnings for the fourth quarter of 2015 today and also took stock of its annual financial statement. In 2015, the bank showed its “enormous ability to generate earnings in a complex environment, while moving ahead decisively in its transformation,” said BBVA executive chairman Francisco González. These are the 5 keys you need to know to understand BBVA’s performance over the last year:
03 Feb 2016
BBVA will propose the appointment of Sunir Kapoor and Andrew Stott as new independent board members during its Annual Shareholders’ Meeting. The Meeting will be held in Bilbao on March 11th, 2016, as notified in the Relevant Event containing the agenda and to which this press release is appended.
- Record income: Gross income for the full year and for the fourth quarter reached a new record: €23.68 billion (up 10.9% y-o-y) and €6.15 billion (up 6.6% on the same period last year), respectively
- Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 5.4% at year-end vs. 5.8% in 2014, with coverage ratio of 74%
- Capital: BBVA’s CET1 ratio fully-loaded was 10.3% at the end of 2015 following a solid evolution in the last quarter. It rose 57 basis points from October to December
- Transformation: Digital banking is making further gains in terms of customer satisfaction and digital sales. At the end of the year 19.2% of new consumer credits in Spain were sold through digital channels. In Mexico this figure was 29.6%
04 Feb 2015
The BBVA Group posted a profit of €2.62 billion in 2014, 25.7% more than in 2013, according to the new accounting rules1, driven by the solid net interest income performance, cost control and lower loan-loss and real-estate provisions. Net income from ongoing operations, which does not include results from corporate operations, grew 53.1% to €3.08 billion year-over-year.