Emilio Ybarra, the former co-chairman of BBVA, has died. He was 82.
10 Jul 2019
BBVA USA was recognized by Kiplinger as its runner-up in the Best Banks for High-Net-Worth Families category for 2019. The Washington, D.C.-based publisher of business forecasts and personal finance advice cited BBVA’s expansive wealth services, including its attractive relationship program and well-regarded private bank, and specifically noted its Premier Personal Banking program.
04 Jul 2019
Credit rating agency Fitch has upgraded BBVA’s senior preferred debt long-term rating by one notch to A from A-. Fitch has also affirmed the Group’s long-term Issuer Default Rating at A- with a negative outlook, thanks to the strength of the bank in Spain and the resilience of its Mexican franchise.
26 Jun 2019
As part of its digital transformation strategy, the BBVA Group recently introduced a new brand identity and logo that will be used in all countries where the bank has a presence.
17 Jun 2019
12 Jun 2019
Rebranding a company is no easy task. Neither is creating the campaign to support this change. But for those who worked on BBVA’s campaign to launch the new brand, it has been an absorbing and rewarding experience.
11 Jun 2019
BBVA has unveiled its new corporate identity across the countries within its operating footprint, re-designed to represent the timeless, simple, and universal value of opportunities.
10 Jun 2019
BBVA today initiated its new brand strategy and updated logo originally announced in April, beginning the process of replacing tens of thousands of physical logos — and thousands more digital ones — with the bank’s new mark. In the U.S., crown signage on high rise buildings in Birmingham, Ala., Denver, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston unveiled the new logo today, along with four branch locations. Remaining locations will transition to the new brand in the coming months.
BBVA unveils its new brand in order to better convey the new reality of the bank, which is both increasingly digital and international. The bank delivers a value proposition that provides its customers the best global solutions and an unparalleled user experience.
21 May 2019
BBVA is a customer-centric global financial services group founded in 1857. The Group operates in more than 30 countries and has a strong leadership position in the Spanish market, is the largest financial institution in Mexico, it has leading franchises in South America and the Sunbelt Region of the United States. It is also the leading shareholder in Turkey’s BBVA Garanti. Its purpose is to bring the age of opportunities to everyone, based on our customers’ real needs: provide the best solutions, helping them make the best financial decisions, through an easy and convenient experience. The institution rests in solid values: Customer comes first, we think big and we are one team. Its responsible banking model aspires to achieve a more inclusive and sustainable society.
20 May 2019
We live in times of rapid change. And in this age of change, we refuse to just sit with the audience as mere spectators; we want to be in the spotlight, we want to play a leading role in this digital revolution, in this reality that demands us to be able to quickly adapt. It is in this context of relentless transformation that has prompted BBVA Research to launch new website: more user-friendly, with expanded features and a responsive design that adapts to any browsing device.
14 May 2019
- Earnings: For the first quarter of 2019, BBVA Compass reports a net income of $141 million.
- Community Investment: The BBVA Compass Foundation donates $1 million to the construction of Avenue Center, a mixed-use community resource center in north Houston.
- Unified Brand: BBVA announces that it will launch a new logo and unify its brand across its footprint, with BBVA becoming the Group’s name globally.
29 Apr 2019
BBVA Compass Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA Compass), reported today net income of $141 million for the first quarter of 2019 compared to earnings of $209 million in the first quarter of 2018. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity* for the first quarter of 2019 were 0.61 percent and 6.64 percent, respectively.
• Transformation: BBVA continued to make progress in its transformation, with a clear impact on growth of its customer base, productivity, efficiency and customer experience. Digital unit sales now account for 57 percent of the total and over half of the customers use digital channels to interact with the bank
• Efficiency: Positive top-line trends in the P&L account, together with an ongoing focus on cost reduction, led to double-digit growth in operating income compared to the first quarter 2018 in constant euros, and an improvement in the efficiency ratio, which dropped 118 basis points since December, to 48.1 percent
• Risk management: The NPL ratio remained at 3.9 percent, while the coverage ratio improved to 74 percent. The cost of risk stood at 1.06 percent
• Capital adequacy: The fully-loaded CET1 capital ratio closed the quarter at 11.35 percent, inching closer to the target of 11.5 to 12 percent, fully absorbing IFRS 16 impact
Profitability: BBVA continued to be a leader in profitability, with ROE standing at 9.9 percent, and ROTE at 11.9 percent, well above the average of its European peers
• Value creation for the shareholder: The tangible book value plus dividends per share rose 11 percent from a year earlier
• Board of Directors: At its meeting today, the Board also approved a series of agreements related to appointments and its committees
24 Apr 2019
BBVA today announced to its employees that it will unify its brand and launch a new logo across its footprint, as it advances in its efforts to offer its customers the best products and services, in an increasingly digital environment. The Group held a special Live@BBVA event, watched in real time by its almost 126,000 team members, who attended in person or viewed via streaming. The event was co-hosted by BBVA Group Chairman Carlos Torres Vila and BBVA CEO Onur Genç.
BBVA will become the Group’s name globally. The bank will discontinue the local names in Argentina (Francés), Mexico (Bancomer), Peru (Continental), and the United States (Compass) in the coming months. Garanti, the Group’s franchise in Turkey, will change its name to Garanti BBVA.
18 Apr 2019
- Workplace Equality: BBVA Compass earns a perfect score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2019 Corporate Equality Index.
- Risk Management: BBVA Compass joins 11 other financial institutions to advance best practices for managing third-party risk in the financial services industry.
- Financial Education: On the heels of a successful four-month pilot, BBVA Compass launches its full financial education program for 2019
11 Apr 2019
28 Mar 2019
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. (BBVA) filed on March 28, 2019 with the Securities and Exchange Commission BBVA’s Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2018.
The Annual Report can be found on Investor Relations BBVA’s website in the section dedicated to Financial Information 2018.
18 Mar 2019
Once the annual financial statements are approved at the Annual General Meeting, BBVA is now releasing the report ‘BBVA in 2018.’ This report covers all the BBVA Group’s activity in 2018 and puts the focus on the most relevant aspects for the bank’s stakeholders.
15 Mar 2019
Carlos Torres Vila, Group executive chairman
- Impact on society: “The future of banking lies in financing the future. At BBVA we want to define the new way of banking that the communities we serve are calling for and need”
- Transformation: “In 2018 we reached a pivotal milestone: to surpass the threshold of 50 percent digital customers”
- Dividend: “The strong results allow us to increase the dividend. At this Annual General Meeting, BBVA is proposing a complementary dividend of €0.16 per share, to be paid in April this year.” The total dividend for the year amounts to €0.26 per share, a 37 percent payout of the bank’s profit
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Digitization: “We began our transformation ahead of the curve, and we are already reaping the benefits of this foresight”
Prior to the start of BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which is being held today in Bilbao, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila discussed the bank’s 2018 results and milestones in the transformation journey with the media. He also shared BBVA’s vision for the future: “We are fully committed to become the banking business that society is demanding.”
07 Mar 2019
- Entrepreneurship: BBVA Compass announced three opportunities for small businesses to garner funding.
- Recognitions: BBVA Compass earned recognition from Global Finance magazine, AVA Digital Awards and GoBankingRates.com.
- “Outstanding” Performance: The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta rates BBVA Compass “Outstanding” for CRA performance.
20 Feb 2019
- Earnings: BBVA Compass reported a net income of $196 million for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Appointments: BBVA Compass appointed Miami Market CEO and new Global Wealth Executive.
- Shutdown Relief: BBVA Compass announced that it will provide financial relief for clients directly impacted by the recent federal government shutdown.
13 Feb 2019
BBVA published its annual compensation report for Board members today, which details how compensation is tied to the bank’s results. The Board also approved a new compensation policy for Board Members for 2019-2021. Both documents will be presented at the Annual General Meeting on March 15, 2019.
07 Feb 2019
BBVA Compass has named Brian Fricke as its Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), where he will oversee the bank’s Information Security and Engineering Risk functions.
01 Feb 2019
- Transformation: More than half of BBVA customers are digital, meeting the target set for 2018
- Income: Operating income grew 6.2 percent at constant exchange rates, thanks to the increase in recurring revenues and cost discipline
- Risks: BBVA showed strength in risk indicators, with an NPL ratio declining to 3.9 percent, and a coverage ratio of 73 percent
- Solvency: At the end of December, the fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11.3 percent
- Shareholder value creation: The tangible book value per share plus dividends grew 10.1 percent in 2018, while the ROE increased to 11.6 percent
- Dividend: A cash payment in a gross amount of €0.16 per share, to be paid in April as final dividend for 2018, is expected to be proposed for the consideration of the competent governing bodies
16 Jan 2019
BBVA Compass has named longtime leader Giampaolo Consigliere as its Miami Market CEO as part of its work to strengthen the bank’s presence in this burgeoning and diverse market.
14 Jan 2019
I am writing to you in relation to the recent pieces of news that are affecting us so much. Everyone at BBVA is shocked by the information reported which started on January 9. These pieces of news link BBVA to the monitoring or interception of private communications. If true, it would be undoubtedly extremely serious, deplorable behavior, radically opposed to what we are and what we stand for, and, ultimately, to the values of BBVA that move us every day.
21 Dec 2018
BBVA has received all the required administrative authorizations from the European Central Bank (ECB) for the resolutions approved by the Board of Directors of BBVA at its meeting held on Dec. 20, 2018, to come into full effect.
12 Dec 2018
30 Oct 2018
BBVA Compass Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA Compass), reported today net income of $175 million for the third quarter of 2018, a 34 percent increase from the $130 million earned during the third quarter of 2017. Included in third quarter 2017 results is approximately $60 million (pre-tax) of provision expense related to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity(1) for the third quarter of 2018 were 0.77 percent and 8.35 percent, respectively.
• Transformation: Digital and mobile customers as well as digital sales continued to grow across all geographies, with a positive impact on efficiency. Digital customers now account for 49% of the total, very close to the year-end target of having half of the customers banking through digital channels
• Income: Operating income improved (+5.8 percent at constant exchange rates), driven by a positive trend in recurring revenues and containment in operating expenses. BBVA’s ROE between January and September was 12.2 percent, with ROTE standing at 14.8 percent
• Risks: The NPL ratio was 4.1 percent in September (4.4 percent in June). Coverage ratio reached 73 percent
• Capital: Despite a complex environment, the fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11.34 percent. During the first nine months of the year, the tangible book value per share plus dividends grew 7.2 percent to €5.95
25 Oct 2018
Türkiye Garanti Bankası A.Ş., released its earnings report dated September 30, 2018. Based on the consolidated financials, Garanti’s asset size reached TL 456.33 billion, while its contribution to the economy through cash and non-cash loans increased to TL 354.75 billion. The Bank’s ROAE (Return on Average Equity) stood at 17.5% and ROAA (Return on Average Assets) reached 2.0%.
17 Oct 2018
BBVA Compass today launched the Birmingham chapter of its Business Resource Group (BRG) Women in Leadership.
10 Oct 2018
Because safety is our top priority, many BBVA Compass branches along the Alabama and Florida Gulf Coast were closed on Oct. 10 due to Hurricane Michael. Below are the branches’ current status. We will continue to provide any updates as they become available. Online Banking and the BBVA Compass Mobile Banking app are still available, and you can also call us at 1-800-COMPASS.
After obtaining all required authorizations, BBVA closed the transaction that will transfer its real estate business in Spain to Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. The deal was announced in November 2017. The closing of the transaction results in the sale of 80 percent of Divarian’s share capital to Cerberus, the company created to transfer the real estate portfolio. BBVA is to retain the remaining 20 percent stake.
09 Oct 2018
More than 1,800 BBVA Compass employees — plus another 250 friends and family members — joined their BBVA co-workers across the globe to participate in the bank’s Week of Volunteering September 24-30. Employees across the footprint participated in 189 individual events, including Habitat for Humanity projects, food bank initiatives, community clean up efforts, and financial education workshops for individuals and small businesses.
28 Sep 2018
BBVA Compass recently rolled out a new app and online platform that makes it easier for employees at every level to develop their leadership skills.
27 Sep 2018
On December 31, 2018, Francisco González will step down as BBVA Group Executive Chairman, after 18 years at the helm of the bank and almost four more as Chairman of Argentaria. Following the Board’s announcement regarding the approval of the chairman’s succession plan, we sit down with him for an hour to talk about the meaning of his decision.
26 Sep 2018
25 Sep 2018
24 Sep 2018
Financial services industry trade publication American Banker has named BBVA Compass Chief Talent and Culture Executive Rosilyn Houston to its Women to Watch list for the third consecutive year.
08 Sep 2018
This summer, BBVA launched the first edition of the BBVA Values Global Recognition Program. It’s a special recognition designed to reward employees who best represent BBVA’s Values: The Customer Comes First, We Think Big, and We Are One Team. The awards are called the ViVa Awards.
30 Aug 2018
29 Aug 2018
BBVA Compass announced Wednesday the appointment of David Bolocan as its Executive Director of Consumer Segments and Deposits, where he has overall responsibility for setting the strategic direction of consumer deposit products and the retail and mass market segments.
Moody’s has affirmed BBVA’s A3 rating, maintaining a stable outlook on the Group’s financial debt. The ratings agency said the rating affirmation reflects the resilience of BBVA’s credit profile to the deterioration of the operating environment in Turkey.
10 Aug 2018
BBVA has requested arbitration procedures through the complementary mechanism of the ICSID – the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes – within the framework of the Reciprocal Investment Promotion and Protection Agreements between Spain and Bolivia with respect to the transfer of BBVA Previsión AFP (Pension Fund Administrator) to the Government of Bolivia.
27 Jul 2018
Türkiye Garanti Bankası A.Ş. announced its financial statements for the first half to June 30, 2018. On a consolidated financial basis, in the first six months of 2018, Garanti had assets of TL384.878 billion, while its contribution to the economy through cash and non-cash loans increased to TL319.244 billion. The Bank’s ROAE (Return on Average Equity) was 18.1 percent and ROAA (Return on Average Assets) 2.1 percent.
BBVA reported net attributable profit of €2.65 billion for the first six months of 2018, up 14.9 percent from the same period a year earlier (+29.5 percent in constant terms). Upbeat revenue trends, containment in operating expenses, and lower loan-loss impairments and provisions were the key drivers of growth.