10 Jan 2020
Today, BBVA placed €1 billion of Tier 2 subordinated debt on the market. The debt, maturing on January 16, 2030 has an interest rate of mid-swap plus 127 basis points, 28 basis points below the initial interest rate (mid-swap plus 155 points) and a 1% coupon. Demand for the issuance reached €4.2 billion, exceeding the opening offer by four times.
08 Jan 2020
BBVA USA today announced the appointment of Carin Marcy Barth as the newest member of BBVA USA Bancshares, Inc. Board of Directors.
19 Dec 2019
BBVA has appointed Peio Belausteguigoitia as head of BBVA Spain, replacing Cristina de Parias, who leaves her executive duties after a successful career of more than three decades both inside and outside BBVA. Cristina de Parias will remain involved with the Group as she will join the board of BBVA’s subsidiary in Mexico, once the necessary approvals have been obtained.
18 Dec 2019
BBVA has signed the sale of a written-off loan portfolio (mostly consumer loans) worth a gross total of €2.5 billion. The transaction is BBVA’s biggest ever of this kind to date.
12 Dec 2019
11 Dec 2019
BBVA’s legal representative Adolfo Fraguas today concluded the bank’s declaration before the Central Investigating Court number 6 of the Spanish National High Court. As he did in the previous declarations (November 20 and 28), Fraguas responded extensively to all questions posed, and once again pleaded that the bank bears no responsibility for the facts under investigation.
21 Nov 2019
20 Nov 2019
BBVA USA announced that its biggest broadcast and digital marketing campaign in a decade will be rolling out Friday and will continue through the remainder of the year and into 2020.
BBVA USA announced today Murat Kalkan will be responsible for the bank’s mortgage and home equity business across the U.S. including mortgage and home equity originations, servicing, secondary marketing, and portfolio management.
BBVA today testified before the Central Investigating Court number 6 of the Spanish National High Court. The declaration, that will continue at a later date, is yet another example of BBVA’s commitment to full cooperation with the judicial authorities, to whom it has provided documents since the onset of the case, proactively sharing the information obtained from the forensic investigation, carried out by Garrigues, Uría Menéndez y PwC.
19 Nov 2019
BBVA is a customer-centric global financial services group founded in 1857. The Group operates in more than 30 countries and has a strong leadership position in the Spanish market, is the largest financial institution in Mexico, it has leading franchises in South America and the Sunbelt Region of the United States. It is also the leading shareholder in Turkey’s BBVA Garanti.
31 Oct 2019
BBVA USA Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA USA), reported today net income of $183 million for the third quarter of 2019 compared to earnings of $160 million in the second quarter of 2019 and $175 million earned in the third quarter of 2018. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity¹ for the third quarter of 2019 were 0.76 percent and 8.03 percent, respectively.
BBVA earned €1.23 billion in the third quarter, +6.1 percent yoy, excluding capital gains from the sale of BBVA Chile and this franchise’s earnings in 2018. The net attributable profit for the first nine months of 2019 reached €3.67 billion, +1.2 percent yoy (+0.5 percent in constant euros), on a comparable basis. The result was driven mainly by growth in recurring revenues and containment in operating expenses.
30 Oct 2019
Garanti BBVA today announced its third quarter earnings. The bank’s net income for the first nine months of the year was TL 4.998.460 bilion(approximately €786 million), with total assets at TL 411.161.696 billion (around €64.67 billion).
Financial institutions are preparing to present Q3 2019 earnings. This week, it will be the turn of most Spanish banks, among them BBVA.
23 Oct 2019
- Sustainability: BBVA USA becomes a founding signatory of the United Nations Principles for Responsible Banking, joining 130 banks worldwide committed to sustainability.
- Open Platform: BBVA Open Platform CEO Abhishek Gupta discusses the benefits of open banking and Banking-as-a-Service.
- Industry Recognitions: BBVA USA Chief Talent & Culture Executive earns Most Powerful Women in Banking recognition, and BBVA Net Cash USA Mobile app wins for best mobile and online experience.
BBVA USA announced today that John Chan has been promoted to Director of the bank’s Community Development Capital team, where he will have overall responsibility for the origination and portfolio management of the bank’s Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) projects across its footprint.
22 Oct 2019
The American Heart Association (AHA) yesterday named BBVA USA to its 2019 Workplace Health Achievement Index, a comprehensive annual survey that uses science-based and evidence-informed methods to evaluate the overall effectiveness of workplace health programs across the nation.
18 Sep 2019
- Community Investment: BBVA and the Montrose Center, along with Houston community leaders, break ground on an affordable, LGBTQ-affirming independent senior living center.
- Retail Banking: BBVA USA Retail Banking Head Çağri Süzer highlights why branches and digital are complementary forces for the bank.
- Small Business: BBVA and the Houston Dynamo announce their annual small business contest.
07 Aug 2019
BBVA has reached an agreement with Banco GNB Paraguay, a unit of Grupo Financiero Gilinski, to sell 100% of its capital in BBVA Paraguay, for about 270 million dollars (about 240 million euros). Said price is subject to the regular adjustments for these kind of transactions between the signing and closing dates of the transaction.
31 Jul 2019
BBVA USA Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA), reported today net income of $160 million for the second quarter of 2019 compared to earnings of $184 million in the second quarter of 2018. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity¹ for the second quarter of 2019 were 0.69 percent and 7.34 percent, respectively. Net income for the first six months of 2019 totaled $301 million compared to earnings of $393 million for the first six months of 2018. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity¹ for the first six months of 2019 were 0.65 percent and 7.00 percent, respectively.
30 Jul 2019
Ana Fernández Manrique has been named Global Head of Regulation & Internal Control, replacing Eduardo Arbizu, who is leaving the company after a successful career at BBVA of nearly 20 years.
29 Jul 2019
Following the request from Spanish Public Prosecutor’s Office’s on July 24th, the Central Investigating Court number 6 of the National High Court today declared BBVA as an investigated party of piece number 9 of the ‘Tándem’ case -which is under secrecy order- for bribery, unveiling and revelation of secrets and business corruption. The condition as an investigated legal entity does not imply -in this preliminary phase of the process- a formal accusation for any crime.
24 Jul 2019
The Spanish Public Prosecutor’s Office announced this morning that it has requested the Central Investigating Court number 6 of the National High Court to declare BBVA as an investigated legal entity as part of piece number 9 of the ‘Tándem’ case, which is under secrecy order.
17 Jul 2019
Emilio Ybarra, the former co-chairman of BBVA, has died. He was 82.
10 Jul 2019
BBVA USA was recognized by Kiplinger as its runner-up in the Best Banks for High-Net-Worth Families category for 2019. The Washington, D.C.-based publisher of business forecasts and personal finance advice cited BBVA’s expansive wealth services, including its attractive relationship program and well-regarded private bank, and specifically noted its Premier Personal Banking program.
04 Jul 2019
Credit rating agency Fitch has upgraded BBVA’s senior preferred debt long-term rating by one notch to A from A-. Fitch has also affirmed the Group’s long-term Issuer Default Rating at A- with a negative outlook, thanks to the strength of the bank in Spain and the resilience of its Mexican franchise.
26 Jun 2019
As part of its digital transformation strategy, the BBVA Group recently introduced a new brand identity and logo that will be used in all countries where the bank has a presence.
17 Jun 2019
12 Jun 2019
Rebranding a company is no easy task. Neither is creating the campaign to support this change. But for those who worked on BBVA’s campaign to launch the new brand, it has been an absorbing and rewarding experience.
11 Jun 2019
BBVA has unveiled its new corporate identity across the countries within its operating footprint, re-designed to represent the timeless, simple, and universal value of opportunities.
10 Jun 2019
BBVA today initiated its new brand strategy and updated logo originally announced in April, beginning the process of replacing tens of thousands of physical logos — and thousands more digital ones — with the bank’s new mark. In the U.S., crown signage on high rise buildings in Birmingham, Ala., Denver, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston unveiled the new logo today, along with four branch locations. Remaining locations will transition to the new brand in the coming months.
BBVA unveils its new brand in order to better convey the new reality of the bank, which is both increasingly digital and international. The bank delivers a value proposition that provides its customers the best global solutions and an unparalleled user experience.
20 May 2019
We live in times of rapid change. And in this age of change, we refuse to just sit with the audience as mere spectators; we want to be in the spotlight, we want to play a leading role in this digital revolution, in this reality that demands us to be able to quickly adapt. It is in this context of relentless transformation that has prompted BBVA Research to launch new website: more user-friendly, with expanded features and a responsive design that adapts to any browsing device.
14 May 2019
- Earnings: For the first quarter of 2019, BBVA Compass reports a net income of $141 million.
- Community Investment: The BBVA Compass Foundation donates $1 million to the construction of Avenue Center, a mixed-use community resource center in north Houston.
- Unified Brand: BBVA announces that it will launch a new logo and unify its brand across its footprint, with BBVA becoming the Group’s name globally.
29 Apr 2019
BBVA Compass Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA Compass), reported today net income of $141 million for the first quarter of 2019 compared to earnings of $209 million in the first quarter of 2018. Return on average assets and return on average tangible equity* for the first quarter of 2019 were 0.61 percent and 6.64 percent, respectively.
• Transformation: BBVA continued to make progress in its transformation, with a clear impact on growth of its customer base, productivity, efficiency and customer experience. Digital unit sales now account for 57 percent of the total and over half of the customers use digital channels to interact with the bank
• Efficiency: Positive top-line trends in the P&L account, together with an ongoing focus on cost reduction, led to double-digit growth in operating income compared to the first quarter 2018 in constant euros, and an improvement in the efficiency ratio, which dropped 118 basis points since December, to 48.1 percent
• Risk management: The NPL ratio remained at 3.9 percent, while the coverage ratio improved to 74 percent. The cost of risk stood at 1.06 percent
• Capital adequacy: The fully-loaded CET1 capital ratio closed the quarter at 11.35 percent, inching closer to the target of 11.5 to 12 percent, fully absorbing IFRS 16 impact
Profitability: BBVA continued to be a leader in profitability, with ROE standing at 9.9 percent, and ROTE at 11.9 percent, well above the average of its European peers
• Value creation for the shareholder: The tangible book value plus dividends per share rose 11 percent from a year earlier
• Board of Directors: At its meeting today, the Board also approved a series of agreements related to appointments and its committees
24 Apr 2019
BBVA today announced to its employees that it will unify its brand and launch a new logo across its footprint, as it advances in its efforts to offer its customers the best products and services, in an increasingly digital environment. The Group held a special Live@BBVA event, watched in real time by its almost 126,000 team members, who attended in person or viewed via streaming. The event was co-hosted by BBVA Group Chairman Carlos Torres Vila and BBVA CEO Onur Genç.
BBVA will become the Group’s name globally. The bank will discontinue the local names in Argentina (Francés), Mexico (Bancomer), Peru (Continental), and the United States (Compass) in the coming months. Garanti, the Group’s franchise in Turkey, will change its name to Garanti BBVA.
18 Apr 2019
- Workplace Equality: BBVA Compass earns a perfect score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2019 Corporate Equality Index.
- Risk Management: BBVA Compass joins 11 other financial institutions to advance best practices for managing third-party risk in the financial services industry.
- Financial Education: On the heels of a successful four-month pilot, BBVA Compass launches its full financial education program for 2019
11 Apr 2019
28 Mar 2019
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. (BBVA) filed on March 28, 2019 with the Securities and Exchange Commission BBVA’s Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2018.
The Annual Report can be found on Investor Relations BBVA’s website in the section dedicated to Financial Information 2018.
18 Mar 2019
Once the annual financial statements are approved at the Annual General Meeting, BBVA is now releasing the report ‘BBVA in 2018.’ This report covers all the BBVA Group’s activity in 2018 and puts the focus on the most relevant aspects for the bank’s stakeholders.
15 Mar 2019
Carlos Torres Vila, Group executive chairman
- Impact on society: “The future of banking lies in financing the future. At BBVA we want to define the new way of banking that the communities we serve are calling for and need”
- Transformation: “In 2018 we reached a pivotal milestone: to surpass the threshold of 50 percent digital customers”
- Dividend: “The strong results allow us to increase the dividend. At this Annual General Meeting, BBVA is proposing a complementary dividend of €0.16 per share, to be paid in April this year.” The total dividend for the year amounts to €0.26 per share, a 37 percent payout of the bank’s profit
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Digitization: “We began our transformation ahead of the curve, and we are already reaping the benefits of this foresight”
Prior to the start of BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which is being held today in Bilbao, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila discussed the bank’s 2018 results and milestones in the transformation journey with the media. He also shared BBVA’s vision for the future: “We are fully committed to become the banking business that society is demanding.”
07 Mar 2019
- Entrepreneurship: BBVA Compass announced three opportunities for small businesses to garner funding.
- Recognitions: BBVA Compass earned recognition from Global Finance magazine, AVA Digital Awards and GoBankingRates.com.
- “Outstanding” Performance: The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta rates BBVA Compass “Outstanding” for CRA performance.
20 Feb 2019
- Earnings: BBVA Compass reported a net income of $196 million for the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Appointments: BBVA Compass appointed Miami Market CEO and new Global Wealth Executive.
- Shutdown Relief: BBVA Compass announced that it will provide financial relief for clients directly impacted by the recent federal government shutdown.
13 Feb 2019
BBVA published its annual compensation report for Board members today, which details how compensation is tied to the bank’s results. The Board also approved a new compensation policy for Board Members for 2019-2021. Both documents will be presented at the Annual General Meeting on March 15, 2019.
07 Feb 2019
BBVA Compass has named Brian Fricke as its Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), where he will oversee the bank’s Information Security and Engineering Risk functions.
01 Feb 2019
- Transformation: More than half of BBVA customers are digital, meeting the target set for 2018
- Income: Operating income grew 6.2 percent at constant exchange rates, thanks to the increase in recurring revenues and cost discipline
- Risks: BBVA showed strength in risk indicators, with an NPL ratio declining to 3.9 percent, and a coverage ratio of 73 percent
- Solvency: At the end of December, the fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11.3 percent
- Shareholder value creation: The tangible book value per share plus dividends grew 10.1 percent in 2018, while the ROE increased to 11.6 percent
- Dividend: A cash payment in a gross amount of €0.16 per share, to be paid in April as final dividend for 2018, is expected to be proposed for the consideration of the competent governing bodies