LATEST NEWS BBVA.COM
- Four NGOs receive charitable donation from BBVA shareholders for their projects for a greener and more inclusive world
- BBVA, the only Spanish financial institution on the Finance Industry Advisory Board for the International Energy Agency
- ‘Aprendemos juntos 2030’ ('Let's learn together 2030’) challenges schools to promote sustainability and self-care
17 Mar 2023
On Monday, March 20th, BBVA will start to execute its €422 million share buyback program after receiving the authorization of the European Central Bank.
"BBVA faces 2023 with confidence and prospects for profitable growth in our main markets"
Carlos Torres Vila, Chair
- Customers: “We added more than 11 million new customers in 2022. We reach more people and we can increase the positive impact of our activity”
- Lending: “Last year we helped more than 100,000 families purchase their home and we financed nearly half a million SMEs and the self-employed”
- Shareholder distributions: BBVA is proposing to the AGM the distribution of €3.02 billion in dividends and a share buyback program
Onur Genç, CEO
- Results: Underscore “the trend of rising profits over the past ten years,” with the exception of the year of Covid
- Soundness: “Risk management has always been one of our strengths”
- Employees: “For BBVA, having the best, most diverse and committed team is a strategic priority and we work hard for this to be a reality”
BBVA is holding its Annual General Meeting at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao this Friday. The Chair of the bank, Carlos Torres Vila, analyzed the global macroeconomic situation, marked by uncertainties in financial markets and geopolitical, inflationary and interest rate tensions. In this context, BBVA produced solid figures in 2022, while increasing distributions to shareholders. Carlos Torres Vila assured that “despite the uncertainty and market volatility, at BBVA we face 2023 with confidence and prospects for profitable growth in our main markets.” “It is at times like these when the strength and soundness of the business model and of the risk management of BBVA stand out the most,” he said.
14 Mar 2023
The BBVA Annual Shareholder meeting will be held in Bilbao next Friday, March 13. The shareholder meeting (also known as the Annual General Meeting or AGM) is one of a company’s primary corporate governance vehicles. During the meeting, the company’s owners (the shareholders) ratify decisions on topics determined by law and by the corporate bylaws. The AGM includes particular features that are established by corporate law. BBVA’s AGM will be held on March 17th in Bilbao.
18 Mar 2022
BBVA Chair Carlos Torres Vila was re-elected as a Board member with 98 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting, held on Friday in Bilbao. The Group’s CEO Onur Genç was also re-elected with 99 percent of the votes. The AGM was held under a mixed format (remote and onsite), with a quorum of 65 percent.
"The invasion of Ukraine will have structural consequences on the global economy"
Carlos Torres Vila, Chair
- Ukraine: ”The Russian invasion of Ukraine represents an enormous human tragedy.” “There is no doubt that the war will increase inflation and will negatively impact growth”
- Strength: BBVA has great capacity to continue growing and to take advantage of the opportunities provided by the two major trends that are defining the future: innovation and sustainability
- Shareholders distributions: The total amount could reach up to €5.5 billion, taking into account the highest cash dividend per share of the past ten years, €0.31 per share, and the €3.5 billion share buyback program underway.
Onur Genç, CEO
- Results: We have posted “the highest recurring profit of the past 10 years.” The Group’s excellent earnings “are the result of a superb performance in all of our countries.”
- Goals: “We have set some very ambitious goals that show our commitment to profitable growth and value creation for shareholders”
- Team: “None of this would be possible without the best team. Everything we have achieved and our future successes are and will be thanks to the people that make up BBVA”
On Friday, BBVA is holding its Annual General Meeting at Bilbao’s Euskalduna Conference Center. Before going over the figures from 2021, Chair Carlos Torres Vila spoke of the invasion of Ukraine, which above all, represents an “enormous human tragedy.” In that regard, he said that beyond its immediate impact, this war “will have structural consequences on the global economy,” conditioning international relationships in all areas. “We are facing a new world order,” he added.
10 Feb 2022
Board of directors
BBVA's Board of Directors to appoint sustainable expert Connie Hedegaard, increasing female representation to 40 percent
BBVA will hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Bilbao, on March 18, 2022. As per the meeting agenda, it is to propose the appointment of Connie Hedegaard as a new board member, a highly qualified expert in the field of sustainability and climate change: She was the European Commissioner for Climate Action and Minister of the Environment in Denmark, her home country. BBVA’s Board of Directors will thus increase the number of women from five to six, of a total of 15 members, and will reach its goal of having at least 40 percent of women in its Board before the end of 2022, as agreed in its Selection, suitability and diversity policy. Furthermore, the Board will maintain a majority of independent board members (66.67 percent) and a 40 percent of international members.
20 Apr 2021
BBVA shareholders largely back the possibility of carrying out a relevant share buyback
BBVA shareholders backed the possibility of redeeming up to 10 percent of the bank’s share capital, equivalent to 667 million shares, with 99.6 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in Bilbao today. This item on the agenda aims to be able to implement a relevant share buyback, as means of distribution to shareholders.
Carlos Torres Vila, Group Chairman
- Sustainability: Banks have a key role in “analyzing investment opportunities and managing the risks associated” to climate change
- Sale of the U.S. subsidiary: “We have an extraordinary position of strength, which gives us tremendous strategic optionality to continue creating value for shareholders”
- Dividend: “We propose to the AGM the approval of the agreements required to implement a share buyback plan of up to 10 percent of the Group’s shares once the sale of our U.S. subsidiary is closed”
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Digitization: “Our focus on creating end-to-end digital solutions and processes has been key to reaching new clients, which is one of our strategic priorities”
- Capital: Following the sale of the U.S. subsidiary, BBVA will be “one of Europe’s best capitalized banks, with the largest margin between our capital position and the minimum requirement”
- Team: “We continue fostering inclusion and diversity, because we are convinced that it makes us better, as a company and as a society”
Carlos Torres Vila takes stock of 2020 and announces pledge to making BBVA carbon neutral by 2050
At BBVA Annual General Meeting, Carlos Torres Vila took stock of last year and unveiled a new objective in the bank´s fight against climate change. “Today, we are announcing BBVA’s commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2050. With this commitment, we are moving the baseline scenario in the Paris Agreement forward by 20 years," he said.
19 Apr 2021
The Shareholders' General Meeting (also known as the Annual General Meeting or AGM) is one of a company’s primary corporate governance vehicles. During the Meeting, the company’s owners (the shareholders) ratify decisions on topics determined by law and by the corporate bylaws. The AGM includes particular features that are established by corporate law.
30 Mar 2021
BBVA’s shareholders gift for the Annual General Meeting will be given to charitable causes
In order to help alleviate the effects of COVID-19 on the most vulnerable, BBVA will make a charitable contribution in Spain in replacement of the traditional gift given to shareholders for the Annual General Meeting. It will be the shareholders who vote on which of four causes they prefer for the donation from this gift: social inclusion, education, health and people with disabilities.
15 Mar 2021
BBVA to submit for shareholder approval the possibility of redeeming up to 10 percent of shares
BBVA has called its Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held virtual-only on April 20th, 2021. With the goal of being able to implement a significant potential share buyback, it will be submitted for approval of the AGM the possibility of reducing the bank’s share capital up to 10 percent - the equivalent of approximately 667 million shares. Additionally, BBVA proposes the re-election of seven board members, whose term ends in 2021. It would thus maintain unchanged the composition of the Group’s highest governing body, which currently has two thirds of independent members and an appropriate balance and diversity in several areas: experience, knowledge and expertise, gender and international representation.
13 Mar 2020
BBVA shareholders back corporate management in 2019 with 99.4 percent of the votes
BBVA shareholders have backed the Group’s corporate management in 2019 with 99.4 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting, held on Friday in Bilbao. Quorum has been the highest in the bank’s history: 66.83 percent.
Carlos Torres Vila: “With coronavirus, we must all be very coordinated to mitigate the impact”
Carlos Torres Vila, Group executive chairman
- Excellent figures: “In 2019 BBVA posted its highest net attributable profit of the past decade without one-offs”
- New strategic priorities: We want “to improve our clients’ financial health and help them transition toward a sustainable future”
- Dividend: BBVA is proposing at the AGM a complementary gross cash dividend of €0.16 per share. The total dividend for the year stands at €0.26 per share, which reflects a 36 percent of attributable profit, excluding the impact of the goodwill adjustment in the U.S.
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Business model: “Once again, we have demonstrated the strength of our diversified model”
- Profitability: “We are number one in terms of profitability,” among 15 largest European banks
BBVA Group’s executive chairman referred to the Cenyt case at the 2020 Annual General Meeting, which was held on March 13, 2020. This is a transcript of what he said at the meeting.
BBVA shareholders meet today in Bilbao (northern Spain), where the bank will hold its Annual General Meeting. Starting at noon, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila and CEO Onur Genç will present the bank’s shareholders with the most significant 2019 accomplishments and the outlook for 2020.
11 Mar 2020
BBVA recommends use of remote channels, extends deadline for voting electronically at the AGM
In light of the situation resulting from the coronavirus, BBVA recommends not attending the Annual General Meeting in person whenever possible. The AGM is to be held on March 13th, 2020, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. Additionally, in order to allow shareholders to exercise the remote vote, BBVA has extended the deadline to do so until Thursday, March 12, 2020, at 08:00 pm.
10 Mar 2020
BBVA’s 2020 Annual General Shareholders’ Meeting (AGM) is scheduled to be held next March 13, 2020, on first call, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. BBVA wishes and promotes the participation of its shareholders in such an important event for the company. For that reason, the bank has made available to its shareholders the appropriate channels to enable the exercise of their rights remotely, which are described in the Annual General Meeting section on the corporate website.
09 Mar 2020
The BBVA Annual General Meeting will be held in Bilbao next Friday, March 13. The shareholder meeting (or AGM) is one of a company’s primary corporate governance vehicles. During the meeting, the company’s owners (the shareholders) ratify decisions on topics determined by law and by the corporate bylaws. The AGM includes particular features that are established by corporate law.
20 Feb 2020
For the next Annual General Meeting, BBVA shareholders will be able to vote on the bank’s website and app
BBVA is now offering its shareholders the possibility of exercising their right to vote or the delegation of this right through three channels: the websites bbva.es and bbva.com, and the bank’s mobile banking app. These voting and delegation options are available from February 19th through March 12th. BBVA’s Annual General Meeting is planned for March 13th in Bilbao.
15 Mar 2019
BBVA Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila is re-elected, with more than 98 percent of the votes
At his first Annual General Meeting (AGM) as Group executive chairman of BBVA, Carlos Torres Vila was re-elected as a Board member with more than 98 percent of the votes, according to the definitive data of the votation. The shareholders meeting in Bilbao today also supported the appointment of Onur Genç as a Board member of the BBVA Group with 99 percent of the votes. A large number of institutional and minority shareholders participated in the voting, with a quorum over 64 percent.
Carlos Torres Vila
"We are fully committed to become the banking business that society is demanding"
Prior to the start of BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which is being held today in Bilbao, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila discussed the bank’s 2018 results and milestones in the transformation journey with the media. He also shared BBVA’s vision for the future: “We are fully committed to become the banking business that society is demanding.”
14 Mar 2019
BBVA shareholders have an appointment this Friday at the Euskalduna Concert Center in Bilbao, Spain. Starting at 12:00 CET, Group Executive Chairman Carlos Torres Vila and CEO Onur Genç will take stock of 2018 and offer their vision of 2019.
13 Mar 2019
For the second consecutive year, BBVA’s General Annual Meeting, to be held in Bilbao on March 15, has been certified by AENOR as a sustainable event in accordance with ISO 20121. Changes this year include improved accessibility for all participants and an increased number of suppliers committed to the sustainability of the event.
19 Mar 2018
After the AGM’s approval of the financial statements for last year, BBVA has made available to the market the most salient information on the year in the 'BBVA in 2017' report. The report lays out in a simple and intuitive way details on the strategy and performance of the Group throughout the year, with the focus on matters of relevance for BBVA interest groups.
16 Mar 2018
BBVA shareholders back corporate management with more than 99 percent of votes
BBVA AGM approves the Group's financial statements with 99.67 percent of votes
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
Francisco González, Group Executive Chairman
- Transformation: “We’ve reached a digital tipping point. In six countries more than 50 percent of customers are digital”
- Dividend: “Our earnings in 2017 allow us to maintain a very solid stream of dividends, with a clear, predictable and sustainable remuneration policy”
- Principles: “We’ve gone through a deep financial crisis and BBVA emerged from it with a very strong reputation”
Carlos Torres Vila, CEO
- Evaluation: “In 2017 we accelerated our transformation, making great strides in the digitization of our business with a huge impact in terms of sales and customer loyalty and satisfaction”
BBVA today is probably more a digital company than a bank. It’s not just a question of technology. It has to do, above everything, with people, knowledge and values and culture.
Francisco González Rodríguez
"2017 has been a very good year for BBVA, and 2018 will be even better"
Moments before the start of BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, to be held in Bilbao today, Francisco González made some remarks in which he reviewed last year’s results and the advances in the digital transformation project. “2017 has been a very good year for BBVA, and 2018 will be even better. And I know it will, because I have never seen our company so strong, so committed, and so united as under this transformation project.” he said.
Today, BBVA hosts its AGM at Palacio Euskalduna in Bilbao (Spain). Group Executive Chairman Francisco González and CEO Carlos Torres Vila will present a summary of the company’s activity in 2017.