16 Mar 2018
BBVA AGM approves the Group’s financial statements with 99.67 percent of votes
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
Francisco González, Group Executive Chairman
- Transformation: “We’ve reached a digital tipping point. In six countries more than 50 percent of customers are digital”
- Dividend: “Our earnings in 2017 allow us to maintain a very solid stream of dividends, with a clear, predictable and sustainable remuneration policy”
- Principles: “We’ve gone through a deep financial crisis and BBVA emerged from it with a very strong reputation”
Carlos Torres Vila, CEO
- Evaluation: “In 2017 we accelerated our transformation, making great strides in the digitization of our business with a huge impact in terms of sales and customer loyalty and satisfaction”
14 Mar 2018
BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which took place on March 16th in Bilbao, boasted an event sustainability management system that was compliant with the UNE-ISO 20121:2013 standard, as certified by AENOR. This certification validates the 2018 Annual General Meeting as a Sustainable Event due to its “clear commitment” to the environmentally, socially and economically sustainable criteria defined by the standard.
15 Nov 2017
The BBVA Group takes another step forward in its digital transformation and in improving customer experience, with a new website for shareholders and investors. The site includes new content and the latest trends in browsing, and is accessible from any mobile device.
27 Oct 2017
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
19 Jul 2017
BBVA Frances has completed a capital increase of 75.8 million shares, including 66 million ordinary sares, and the remainder in shares offered to investment banks through a greenshoe option. At closing market prices, the transaction was valued at $400 million. The BBVA Group affiliate will use the transaction to support the bank’s growth, taking advantage of the improved outlook for Argentina´s economy and financial system.
14 Jul 2017
The European Commission just unveiled a new directive on corporate governance, and more specifically on shareholders’ rights, which will have to be transposed nationwide by June 2019. The Commission’s initiative serves a dual purpose: It wants to promote the use of new technologies in the corporate governance of companies while increasing the commitment to transparency among institutional investors, asset managers and the companies in which they invest.
04 Jul 2017
BBVA Francés seeks to capitalize on the improving prospects of both Argentina’s economy and financial system to grow. To underpin the company’s growth, BBVA Group’s Argentine subsidiary has announced that it is preparing a capital increase through the issue of up to 95 million new shares, equivalent to about $500 million at today’s prices. This transaction will be offered both on the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange (BYMA) and as an ADS through the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
07 Jun 2017
Within the varied and, for many people, unfamiliar jargon of the stock trading world are the terms “squeeze-out’ and ‘sell-out.’ Both refer to mechanisms for the forced purchase and sale of shares, and are closely linked to the context of a takeover bid.
28 Apr 2017
After releasing results, companies usually run a road show. But, what is it? A road show is one of the formulas most used by listed companies to communicate to investors or analysts issues that may be relevant to the share price. Here we explain in what it consists
17 Mar 2017
- Quorum was over 63%
- The financial statements were approved with more than 99% of votes. And the approval for the management of the business society in 2016 received almost 99% of votes.
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
A few minutes before BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, held today in Bilbao, Francisco González met with reporters and shared his insights into BBVA’s evolution in 2016. He also pondered the economic situation, and analyzed the role of Spain in the global context.
15 Feb 2017
01 Feb 2017
– Income: Net interest income increased 3.9% in 2016 (+14.9% stripping out the impact of currencies). The fourth quarter was the year’s highest (€4.39 billion). Cost-containment efforts improved the efficiency ratio (51.9% in 2016)
– Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 4.9% in December (from 5.4% at the end of 2015), with coverage ratio of 70%
– Capital: BBVA reached a fully-loaded CET1 ratio of 10.90%, after generating 58 basis points in the year. The Group maintains its 11% target for 2017
– Transformation: At the end of December 2016, BBVA’s digital customer base stood at 18.4 million (+20% y-o-y). Mobile customers grew 38% to 12.4 million
– Dividend: BBVA plans to implement the shareholder remuneration policy announced in 2013, which aims to distribute between 35% and 40% of profits to dividend payouts, with a 100% cash dividend
23 Jan 2017
BBVA appoints Gloria Couceiro as Head of Shareholder and Investor Relations, within the financial unit led by Jaime Sáenz de Tejada.
18 Jan 2017
Alberto Calvo, Head of Shareholder Relations at BBVA Group since last summer, details in El Catalejo the goals of Know your Bank, BBVA’s shareholder communication program. The program comprises initiatives where the heads of the Group’s key business areas will personally explain BBVA’s strategy and challenges to the bank’s shareholders.
12 Jan 2017
Lucía Ocón, CFA of BBVA’s Investor Relations team, explains in El Catalejo how, in her work, transparency is key to building credibility and trust among current shareholders and conveying BBVA’s appeal as investment prospect among potential investors. For this purpose, she notes that it is essential to nurture fluid relationships with investors through meetings, roadshows and conferences.
27 Oct 2016
Following the publication of the third quarter results, BBVA CEO Carlos Torres Vila said today that the Group hit an important milestone in capital generation: a CET1 fully-loaded capital ratio of 11%, a goal originally set for 2017. “We have had solid growth in recurring revenues, cost control and stability in risk indicators,” he indicated prior to the press conference with Spanish media.
-Income: Positive trends in recurring revenues (NII plus fees and commissions) continued between January and September, boosting gross income to €18.43 billion (+5.1% y-o-y)
-Risks: The Group’s NPL ratio remained stable and stood at 5.1% at the end of September, the same level as in December 2012, while the coverage ratio was 72%
-Capital: BBVA achieved its 2017 capital goal ahead of schedule. The fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11%, with a capital generation of 29 basis points in the quarter
-Transformation: BBVA’s digital customer base stood at 17.2 million (+20% in the past year). Of these, 11 million are mobile customers (+41%)
The BBVA Group earned €2.8 billion between January and September 2016, up 64.3% from the same period a year earlier. Stripping out the impact of corporate operations and currency fluctuations, growth reached 15.0%. Net attributable profit rose to €965 million in the third quarter.
11 Mar 2016
– Quorum was over 62%
– Financial statements approved with support from more than 99% of the votes
Francisco González was re-elected Group Executive Chairman of BBVA, with over 96% of the votes during the Annual General Meeting held today in Bilbao. In 2013 he was re-elected with 90.9% of votes.
Speaking to the media minutes before BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, held today in Bilbao, Francisco González went over some of the key points of the Group’s performance in 2015 and shared his insights into the Spanish and global economic context.
Annual General Meeting 2016
27 Jul 2015
BBVA is now the leading shareholder in Garanti, Turkey’s largest bank in terms of market capitalization. After completing the transaction announced last November to acquire an additional 14.89% holding, the BBVA Group now owns to 39.90% of Garanti. Francisco González is in Istanbul due to the closing of the transaction and the appointment of the new Garanti CEO.