23 Mar 2021
BBVA CEO Onur Genç said today that the sale of the U.S. subsidiary is a historic milestone for the bank, and that value creation will continue to be the guiding force in all decisions related to the use of the excess capital from that transaction. “We have a lot of ammunition, a lot of capital” to create value for shareholders, he added. Regarding Turkey, he said that: “We are prepared to manage the risks in emerging markets.”
22 Mar 2021
BBVA has named Patricia Bueno as new Head of Investor & Shareholder relations, within the area of Finance.
15 Mar 2021
BBVA has called its Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held virtual-only on April 20th, 2021. With the goal of being able to implement a significant potential share buyback, it will be submitted for approval of the AGM the possibility of reducing the bank’s share capital up to 10 percent – the equivalent of approximately 667 million shares. Additionally, BBVA proposes the re-election of seven board members, whose term ends in 2021. It would thus maintain unchanged the composition of the Group’s highest governing body, which currently has two thirds of independent members and an appropriate balance and diversity in several areas: experience, knowledge and expertise, gender and international representation.
21 Dec 2020
In an interview posted on BBVA’s corporate website, Carlos Torres Vila takes stock of 2020 and offers his vision for next year. The Chairman assures that, despite its complexity, “it has been a year of relevant strategic achievements” and “we face 2021 with an unparalleled position of strength to invest in growth and to increase shareholder distributions.” In this sense, and after the recent sale of the franchise in the U.S. and the ECB decision on dividend payments, BBVA considers “a sizeable share buyback¹ as a very interesting option.”
Carlos Torres Vila sat down for an interview during which he went over the key milestones achieved and lessons learned in 2020, and shared his insights into BBVA’s plans for the new year, in a context of health and economic uncertainty. “We face 2021 with an unparalleled position of strength to invest in growth and to increase shareholder distributions,” he said.
18 Dec 2020
The repurchase of shares is one of the ways that companies have to pay shareholders. It consists of buying a package of its own shares, normally on the open market, and amortizing them (eliminating them) with the aim of raising the price of the remaining ones.
18 Nov 2020
The sale of the U.S. subsidiary is “an extraordinary agreement” for everyone, as it “creates enormous value for shareholders and gives us a wide range of strategic options,” BBVA CEO Onur Genç said during his presentation this Wednesday at the 27th Financial Sector Meeting organized by Deloitte, Spanish daily ABC and Sociedad de Tasación. In this regard, he noted that “we will only participate in operations that create value for shareholders.” “We aren’t in a rush,” he added.
06 Apr 2020
Thanks to initiatives by BBVA employees, the bank has donated 175 external cell phone batteries to the new IFEMA hospital and 210 blankets to the Alcalá de Henares hospital, both in Madrid.
13 Mar 2020
BBVA shareholders have backed the Group’s corporate management in 2019 with 99.4 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting, held on Friday in Bilbao. Quorum has been the highest in the bank’s history: 66.83 percent.
BBVA shareholders meet today in Bilbao (northern Spain), where the bank will hold its Annual General Meeting. Starting at noon, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila and CEO Onur Genç will present the bank’s shareholders with the most significant 2019 accomplishments and the outlook for 2020.
11 Mar 2020
In light of the situation resulting from the coronavirus, BBVA recommends not attending the Annual General Meeting in person whenever possible. The AGM is to be held on March 13th, 2020, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. Additionally, in order to allow shareholders to exercise the remote vote, BBVA has extended the deadline to do so until Thursday, March 12, 2020, at 08:00 pm.
10 Mar 2020
BBVA’s 2020 Annual General Shareholders’ Meeting (AGM) is scheduled to be held next March 13, 2020, on first call, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. BBVA wishes and promotes the participation of its shareholders in such an important event for the company. For that reason, the bank has made available to its shareholders the appropriate channels to enable the exercise of their rights remotely, which are described in the Annual General Meeting section on the corporate website.
16 Dec 2019
The Extel Survey, recognized as the foremost independent evaluation of the European investment industry, revealed its 2019 results with Garanti BBVA named as Turkey’s ‘Best in Investor Relations.’
02 Oct 2019
BBVA’s Board of Directors resolved today to approve the payment of an interim dividend for 2019, for a gross amount of €0.10 per share, to be paid on October 15.
09 May 2019
Within the context of a complex environment, BBVA leads the digital transformation of banking and is evolving its business model in order to create value for its various stakeholders. This is how Jaime Sáenz de Tejada, Global Head of Finance at BBVA, summarized the bank’s position at the 26th Financial Sector Summit (XXVI Encuentro del Sector Financiero), organized by Deloitte in Madrid. “Our business model is creating more value for customers and shareholders,” he said.
18 Mar 2019
Once the annual financial statements are approved at the Annual General Meeting, BBVA is now releasing the report ‘BBVA in 2018.’ This report covers all the BBVA Group’s activity in 2018 and puts the focus on the most relevant aspects for the bank’s stakeholders.
13 Mar 2019
For the second consecutive year, BBVA’s General Annual Meeting, to be held in Bilbao on March 15, has been certified by AENOR as a sustainable event in accordance with ISO 20121. Changes this year include improved accessibility for all participants and an increased number of suppliers committed to the sustainability of the event.
16 Mar 2018
BBVA AGM approves the Group’s financial statements with 99.67 percent of votes
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
Francisco González, Group Executive Chairman
- Transformation: “We’ve reached a digital tipping point. In six countries more than 50 percent of customers are digital”
- Dividend: “Our earnings in 2017 allow us to maintain a very solid stream of dividends, with a clear, predictable and sustainable remuneration policy”
- Principles: “We’ve gone through a deep financial crisis and BBVA emerged from it with a very strong reputation”
Carlos Torres Vila, CEO
- Evaluation: “In 2017 we accelerated our transformation, making great strides in the digitization of our business with a huge impact in terms of sales and customer loyalty and satisfaction”
14 Mar 2018
BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which took place on March 16th in Bilbao, boasted an event sustainability management system that was compliant with the UNE-ISO 20121:2013 standard, as certified by AENOR. This certification validates the 2018 Annual General Meeting as a Sustainable Event due to its “clear commitment” to the environmentally, socially and economically sustainable criteria defined by the standard.
15 Nov 2017
The BBVA Group takes another step forward in its digital transformation and in improving customer experience, with a new website for shareholders and investors. The site includes new content and the latest trends in browsing, and is accessible from any mobile device.
27 Oct 2017
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
19 Jul 2017
BBVA Frances has completed a capital increase of 75.8 million shares, including 66 million ordinary sares, and the remainder in shares offered to investment banks through a greenshoe option. At closing market prices, the transaction was valued at $400 million. The BBVA Group affiliate will use the transaction to support the bank’s growth, taking advantage of the improved outlook for Argentina´s economy and financial system.
14 Jul 2017
The European Commission just unveiled a new directive on corporate governance, and more specifically on shareholders’ rights, which will have to be transposed nationwide by June 2019. The Commission’s initiative serves a dual purpose: It wants to promote the use of new technologies in the corporate governance of companies while increasing the commitment to transparency among institutional investors, asset managers and the companies in which they invest.
04 Jul 2017
BBVA Francés seeks to capitalize on the improving prospects of both Argentina’s economy and financial system to grow. To underpin the company’s growth, BBVA Group’s Argentine subsidiary has announced that it is preparing a capital increase through the issue of up to 95 million new shares, equivalent to about $500 million at today’s prices. This transaction will be offered both on the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange (BYMA) and as an ADS through the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
07 Jun 2017
Within the varied and, for many people, unfamiliar jargon of the stock trading world are the terms “squeeze-out’ and ‘sell-out.’ Both refer to mechanisms for the forced purchase and sale of shares, and are closely linked to the context of a takeover bid.
17 Mar 2017
- Quorum was over 63%
- The financial statements were approved with more than 99% of votes. And the approval for the management of the business society in 2016 received almost 99% of votes.
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
A few minutes before BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, held today in Bilbao, Francisco González met with reporters and shared his insights into BBVA’s evolution in 2016. He also pondered the economic situation, and analyzed the role of Spain in the global context.
15 Feb 2017
01 Feb 2017
– Income: Net interest income increased 3.9% in 2016 (+14.9% stripping out the impact of currencies). The fourth quarter was the year’s highest (€4.39 billion). Cost-containment efforts improved the efficiency ratio (51.9% in 2016)
– Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 4.9% in December (from 5.4% at the end of 2015), with coverage ratio of 70%
– Capital: BBVA reached a fully-loaded CET1 ratio of 10.90%, after generating 58 basis points in the year. The Group maintains its 11% target for 2017
– Transformation: At the end of December 2016, BBVA’s digital customer base stood at 18.4 million (+20% y-o-y). Mobile customers grew 38% to 12.4 million
– Dividend: BBVA plans to implement the shareholder remuneration policy announced in 2013, which aims to distribute between 35% and 40% of profits to dividend payouts, with a 100% cash dividend