The most viewed news
06 Apr 2020
Thanks to initiatives by BBVA employees, the bank has donated 175 external cell phone batteries to the new IFEMA hospital and 210 blankets to the Alcalá de Henares hospital, both in Madrid.
13 Mar 2020
BBVA shareholders have backed the Group’s corporate management in 2019 with 99.4 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting, held on Friday in Bilbao. Quorum has been the highest in the bank’s history: 66.83 percent.
BBVA shareholders meet today in Bilbao (northern Spain), where the bank will hold its Annual General Meeting. Starting at noon, Group executive chairman Carlos Torres Vila and CEO Onur Genç will present the bank’s shareholders with the most significant 2019 accomplishments and the outlook for 2020.
11 Mar 2020
In light of the situation resulting from the coronavirus, BBVA recommends not attending the Annual General Meeting in person whenever possible. The AGM is to be held on March 13th, 2020, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. Additionally, in order to allow shareholders to exercise the remote vote, BBVA has extended the deadline to do so until Thursday, March 12, 2020, at 08:00 pm.
10 Mar 2020
BBVA’s 2020 Annual General Shareholders’ Meeting (AGM) is scheduled to be held next March 13, 2020, on first call, at the Euskalduna Conference Center in Bilbao. BBVA wishes and promotes the participation of its shareholders in such an important event for the company. For that reason, the bank has made available to its shareholders the appropriate channels to enable the exercise of their rights remotely, which are described in the Annual General Meeting section on the corporate website.
16 Dec 2019
The Extel Survey, recognized as the foremost independent evaluation of the European investment industry, revealed its 2019 results with Garanti BBVA named as Turkey’s ‘Best in Investor Relations.’
02 Oct 2019
BBVA’s Board of Directors resolved today to approve the payment of an interim dividend for 2019, for a gross amount of €0.10 per share, to be paid on October 15.
09 May 2019
Within the context of a complex environment, BBVA leads the digital transformation of banking and is evolving its business model in order to create value for its various stakeholders. This is how Jaime Sáenz de Tejada, Global Head of Finance at BBVA, summarized the bank’s position at the 26th Financial Sector Summit (XXVI Encuentro del Sector Financiero), organized by Deloitte in Madrid. “Our business model is creating more value for customers and shareholders,” he said.
18 Mar 2019
Once the annual financial statements are approved at the Annual General Meeting, BBVA is now releasing the report ‘BBVA in 2018.’ This report covers all the BBVA Group’s activity in 2018 and puts the focus on the most relevant aspects for the bank’s stakeholders.
13 Mar 2019
For the second consecutive year, BBVA’s General Annual Meeting, to be held in Bilbao on March 15, has been certified by AENOR as a sustainable event in accordance with ISO 20121. Changes this year include improved accessibility for all participants and an increased number of suppliers committed to the sustainability of the event.
16 Mar 2018
BBVA AGM approves the Group’s financial statements with 99.67 percent of votes
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
Francisco González, Group Executive Chairman
- Transformation: “We’ve reached a digital tipping point. In six countries more than 50 percent of customers are digital”
- Dividend: “Our earnings in 2017 allow us to maintain a very solid stream of dividends, with a clear, predictable and sustainable remuneration policy”
- Principles: “We’ve gone through a deep financial crisis and BBVA emerged from it with a very strong reputation”
Carlos Torres Vila, CEO
- Evaluation: “In 2017 we accelerated our transformation, making great strides in the digitization of our business with a huge impact in terms of sales and customer loyalty and satisfaction”
14 Mar 2018
BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, which took place on March 16th in Bilbao, boasted an event sustainability management system that was compliant with the UNE-ISO 20121:2013 standard, as certified by AENOR. This certification validates the 2018 Annual General Meeting as a Sustainable Event due to its “clear commitment” to the environmentally, socially and economically sustainable criteria defined by the standard.
15 Nov 2017
The BBVA Group takes another step forward in its digital transformation and in improving customer experience, with a new website for shareholders and investors. The site includes new content and the latest trends in browsing, and is accessible from any mobile device.
27 Oct 2017
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
19 Jul 2017
BBVA Frances has completed a capital increase of 75.8 million shares, including 66 million ordinary sares, and the remainder in shares offered to investment banks through a greenshoe option. At closing market prices, the transaction was valued at $400 million. The BBVA Group affiliate will use the transaction to support the bank’s growth, taking advantage of the improved outlook for Argentina´s economy and financial system.
14 Jul 2017
The European Commission just unveiled a new directive on corporate governance, and more specifically on shareholders’ rights, which will have to be transposed nationwide by June 2019. The Commission’s initiative serves a dual purpose: It wants to promote the use of new technologies in the corporate governance of companies while increasing the commitment to transparency among institutional investors, asset managers and the companies in which they invest.
04 Jul 2017
BBVA Francés seeks to capitalize on the improving prospects of both Argentina’s economy and financial system to grow. To underpin the company’s growth, BBVA Group’s Argentine subsidiary has announced that it is preparing a capital increase through the issue of up to 95 million new shares, equivalent to about $500 million at today’s prices. This transaction will be offered both on the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange (BYMA) and as an ADS through the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
07 Jun 2017
Within the varied and, for many people, unfamiliar jargon of the stock trading world are the terms “squeeze-out’ and ‘sell-out.’ Both refer to mechanisms for the forced purchase and sale of shares, and are closely linked to the context of a takeover bid.
17 Mar 2017
- Quorum was over 63%
- The financial statements were approved with more than 99% of votes. And the approval for the management of the business society in 2016 received almost 99% of votes.
The remaining items in the agenda were approved by a large majority.
A few minutes before BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, held today in Bilbao, Francisco González met with reporters and shared his insights into BBVA’s evolution in 2016. He also pondered the economic situation, and analyzed the role of Spain in the global context.
15 Feb 2017
01 Feb 2017
– Income: Net interest income increased 3.9% in 2016 (+14.9% stripping out the impact of currencies). The fourth quarter was the year’s highest (€4.39 billion). Cost-containment efforts improved the efficiency ratio (51.9% in 2016)
– Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 4.9% in December (from 5.4% at the end of 2015), with coverage ratio of 70%
– Capital: BBVA reached a fully-loaded CET1 ratio of 10.90%, after generating 58 basis points in the year. The Group maintains its 11% target for 2017
– Transformation: At the end of December 2016, BBVA’s digital customer base stood at 18.4 million (+20% y-o-y). Mobile customers grew 38% to 12.4 million
– Dividend: BBVA plans to implement the shareholder remuneration policy announced in 2013, which aims to distribute between 35% and 40% of profits to dividend payouts, with a 100% cash dividend
23 Jan 2017
BBVA appoints Gloria Couceiro as Head of Shareholder and Investor Relations, within the financial unit led by Jaime Sáenz de Tejada.
18 Jan 2017
Alberto Calvo, Head of Shareholder Relations at BBVA Group since last summer, details in El Catalejo the goals of Know your Bank, BBVA’s shareholder communication program. The program comprises initiatives where the heads of the Group’s key business areas will personally explain BBVA’s strategy and challenges to the bank’s shareholders.
12 Jan 2017
Lucía Ocón, CFA of BBVA’s Investor Relations team, explains in El Catalejo how, in her work, transparency is key to building credibility and trust among current shareholders and conveying BBVA’s appeal as investment prospect among potential investors. For this purpose, she notes that it is essential to nurture fluid relationships with investors through meetings, roadshows and conferences.
27 Oct 2016
Following the publication of the third quarter results, BBVA CEO Carlos Torres Vila said today that the Group hit an important milestone in capital generation: a CET1 fully-loaded capital ratio of 11%, a goal originally set for 2017. “We have had solid growth in recurring revenues, cost control and stability in risk indicators,” he indicated prior to the press conference with Spanish media.
-Income: Positive trends in recurring revenues (NII plus fees and commissions) continued between January and September, boosting gross income to €18.43 billion (+5.1% y-o-y)
-Risks: The Group’s NPL ratio remained stable and stood at 5.1% at the end of September, the same level as in December 2012, while the coverage ratio was 72%
-Capital: BBVA achieved its 2017 capital goal ahead of schedule. The fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11%, with a capital generation of 29 basis points in the quarter
-Transformation: BBVA’s digital customer base stood at 17.2 million (+20% in the past year). Of these, 11 million are mobile customers (+41%)
The BBVA Group earned €2.8 billion between January and September 2016, up 64.3% from the same period a year earlier. Stripping out the impact of corporate operations and currency fluctuations, growth reached 15.0%. Net attributable profit rose to €965 million in the third quarter.
11 Mar 2016
– Quorum was over 62%
– Financial statements approved with support from more than 99% of the votes
Francisco González was re-elected Group Executive Chairman of BBVA, with over 96% of the votes during the Annual General Meeting held today in Bilbao. In 2013 he was re-elected with 90.9% of votes.
Speaking to the media minutes before BBVA’s Annual General Meeting, held today in Bilbao, Francisco González went over some of the key points of the Group’s performance in 2015 and shared his insights into the Spanish and global economic context.
Annual General Meeting 2016
03 Feb 2016
- Record income: Gross income for the full year and for the fourth quarter reached a new record: €23.68 billion (up 10.9% y-o-y) and €6.15 billion (up 6.6% on the same period last year), respectively
- Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 5.4% at year-end vs. 5.8% in 2014, with coverage ratio of 74%
- Capital: BBVA’s CET1 ratio fully-loaded was 10.3% at the end of 2015 following a solid evolution in the last quarter. It rose 57 basis points from October to December
- Transformation: Digital banking is making further gains in terms of customer satisfaction and digital sales. At the end of the year 19.2% of new consumer credits in Spain were sold through digital channels. In Mexico this figure was 29.6%
27 Jul 2015
BBVA is now the leading shareholder in Garanti, Turkey’s largest bank in terms of market capitalization. After completing the transaction announced last November to acquire an additional 14.89% holding, the BBVA Group now owns to 39.90% of Garanti. Francisco González is in Istanbul due to the closing of the transaction and the appointment of the new Garanti CEO.
25 Oct 2013
- Results: Earnings remain strong despite the complex environment, thanks to BBVA’s diversified model and the strength of emerging markets. Gross income for the first nine months comes to €16.30 billion. Net income reaches €3.08 billion, 85.8% more than the same period a year earlier
- Risks: As expected, BBVA has carried out this quarter an extraordinary and demanding exercise that has led to a reclassification to non performing of €3.86 billion of refinanced loans in Spain. Following the exercise, the Group’s NPA ratio, excluding real estate activity in Spain, stands at 4.6% and the NPA ratio of the Spanish banking activities stands 6.2%. 41% of NPLs are up to date with payments
- Capital adequacy: The core capital ratio for the Group increased to 11.4% at the end of September, based on current Basel regulation. The ratio does not include the impact from the sales of the pension business in Chile, the 5.1% stake in China CITIC Bank Corporation Limited and the franchise in Panama. Such effect under Basel III fully loaded would lead to an increase of about one percentage point
- Dividend: From 2014 onwards, BBVA intends to put in place a shareholder remuneration policy in accordance with the Group’s growth profile, with a cash dividend payout of 35% to 40% of profit. Taking into account the recommendation of the Bank of Spain, BBVA will not pay a dividend in January 2014, and intends to increase the shareholder remuneration payable in April 2014 to a total of 17 euro cents per share through the “dividend option” scheme