14 Feb 2018
- Good results: In 2017, the BBVA Group posted a net attributable profit of €3.52 billion (+1.3%). Excluding the accounting adjustment of Telefónica and the capital gains from extraordinary corporate operations, net profit in 2017 was €4.29 billion, up 23.3% from a year earlier. The main drivers behind this result were a positive performance of recurring revenue, cost containment efforts in operating expenses and an effective risk management strategy
- Group Executive Chairman: Total remuneration of BBVA Executive Chairman for 2017 was €5.8 million, up 18% from 2016. The Chairman’s variable compensation rose 12% compared to the previous year. The deferred variable remuneration is subject to multi-annual indicators, based on which remuneration can be reduced or taken to zero, never increased. It also includes a Malus clause that could limit or prevent its collection, and clawback clauses intended to reduce or reclaim already paid amounts
- CEO: Carlos Torres Vila’s total remuneration was €4.9 million in 2017. HIs variable compensation is also subject to the same deferral period and conditions as that of the Chairman
15 Nov 2017
The BBVA Group takes another step forward in its digital transformation and in improving customer experience, with a new website for shareholders and investors. The site includes new content and the latest trends in browsing, and is accessible from any mobile device.
27 Oct 2017
The BBVA Group posted a net attributable profit of €3.45 billion during the first nine months of 2017, nearly equal to its profit for the whole of 2016 and an increase of 23.3% from the same period a year earlier (+28.7% at constant exchange rates). A solid performance in terms of recurring income, cost containment and a drop in impairment losses on financial assets were the main factors driving this growth.
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
27 Jul 2017
Between January and June 2017, BBVA Group posted a net attributable profit of €2.31 billion, up 25.9% from the same period a year earlier (+30.8% in constant terms). The solid performance of recurring revenues, moderation in operating expenses and a drop in impairment losses on financial assets are the main factors that supported this growth.
14 Jul 2017
The European Commission just unveiled a new directive on corporate governance, and more specifically on shareholders’ rights, which will have to be transposed nationwide by June 2019. The Commission’s initiative serves a dual purpose: It wants to promote the use of new technologies in the corporate governance of companies while increasing the commitment to transparency among institutional investors, asset managers and the companies in which they invest.
30 May 2017
BBVA Global Executive Chairman Francisco González was very positive about the future of Mexico during his visit to the country for the annual meeting of BBVA Bancomer’s regional Board members. “The resilience of the Mexican economy to the recent challenges it has faced is admirable,” he affirmed. “In terms of the rest of Latin America, I’m also optimistic. Populist movements are losing steam and economic and political rationality is moving ahead.”
22 Mar 2017
20 Feb 2017
BBVA has agreed to acquire 9.95% of Turkiye Garanti Bankasi from Dogus Group for approximately a total of 3.32 billion Turkish lira (€859 million), increasing its stake in Turkey’s largest bank by market capitalization to 49.85%. The acquisition of the additional stake would boost BBVA Group’s net attributable profit by about €165 million in 2018, according to analysts’ consensus for Garanti’s earnings.
01 Feb 2017
The BBVA Group earned €3.48 billion in 2016, up 31.5% from the previous year and its highest figure since 2010. Solid performance of recurring revenues, moderation in operating expenses, and a drop in impairment losses on financial assets are the key drivers of this growth.
29 Jul 2016
Between April and June the BBVA Group posted the highest quarterly profit of the last 12 months, with €1.12 billion, up 58.4% from the previous quarter. Net attributable profit for the first half of the year stood at €1.83 billion, down 33.6% from the same period in 2015, due to the impact of exchange rates and the lack of corporate operations. Stripping out these two factors, profit grew 5.8% y-o-y
11 Jul 2016
Below is a timeline illustrating the BBVA Chile Group’s main milestones. In its 18 year history in the country, the Group stands out for its innovative capacity, growth and state of the art financial products and services. This has allowed the Group to make millions of people’s and companies’ lives easier and has also helped make their dreams and projects a reality.
Check it out!
28 Apr 2016
BBVA posted a net attributable profit of €709 million in the first quarter of 2016, down 53.8% from the same period a year earlier. Quarterly results were hindered by a number of factors, including the impact of exchange rates, lower results from NTI and the lack of corporate operations. BBVA CEO Carlos Torres Vila indicated that results will continue to grow gradually throughout 2016. Below you can find the most relevant data of the quarter:
04 Feb 2016
03 Feb 2016
BBVA will propose the appointment of Sunir Kapoor and Andrew Stott as new independent board members during its Annual Shareholders’ Meeting. The Meeting will be held in Bilbao on March 11th, 2016, as notified in the Relevant Event containing the agenda and to which this press release is appended.
- Record income: Gross income for the full year and for the fourth quarter reached a new record: €23.68 billion (up 10.9% y-o-y) and €6.15 billion (up 6.6% on the same period last year), respectively
- Risks: BBVA Group’s NPL ratio improved to 5.4% at year-end vs. 5.8% in 2014, with coverage ratio of 74%
- Capital: BBVA’s CET1 ratio fully-loaded was 10.3% at the end of 2015 following a solid evolution in the last quarter. It rose 57 basis points from October to December
- Transformation: Digital banking is making further gains in terms of customer satisfaction and digital sales. At the end of the year 19.2% of new consumer credits in Spain were sold through digital channels. In Mexico this figure was 29.6%
15 Dec 2015
El Niño is the warm phase of the ENSO (“El Niño Southern Oscillation”), a meteorological event defined by prolonged warming in the Pacific Ocean sea surface temperatures. This year’s event is currently affecting the countries of the Latin American Pacific basin, and could be the worst since 1950, due to the impact of the climate change.
12 Nov 2015
For the first time, the King and Queen of Spain visited Ciudad BBVA, the Group’s corporate headquarters in Madrid, to unveil a commemorative plaque on the main building, La Vela. The Chairman & CEO of BBVA, Francisco González, thanked King Felipe and Queen Letizia for their visit and explained how BBVA’s new headquarters in Madrid is contributing to the Group’s transformation.
28 May 2015
BBVA Bancomer today announced that it has appointed Eduardo Osuna Osuna as its new general manager, replacing Vicente Rodero Rodero, who, since October 1, 2012, has been the vice chairman of the Board of Directors and the bank’s general manager.