Garanti Bank released its earnings for 2018. Based on its consolidated financials, Garanti’s assets were valued at slightly more than TL 399 billion, and its contribution to the economy through performing cash and non-cash loans totaled just over TL 311 billion. The bank achieved an ROAE (Return on Average Equity) of 15.0 percent and a ROAA (Return on Average Assets) of 1.7 percent.
BBVA Compass Bancshares, Inc., a Sunbelt-based bank holding company (BBVA Compass), reported today net income of $196 million for the fourth quarter of 2018, a 276 percent increase from the $52 million earned during the fourth quarter of 2017. Included in fourth quarter 2017 results is income tax expense of approximately $121 million related to the revaluation of net deferred tax assets at the lower statutory tax rate mandated by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (non-cash charge). Excluding the impact of this item, the year-over-year increase in net income for the fourth quarter of 2018 compared to adjusted net income* of $173 million for the fourth quarter of 2017 was 13 percent.
In 2018, the BBVA Group earned €5.32 billion, 51.3 percent more than in the previous year. Recurring revenues, cost containment efforts, and capital gains on the sale of BBVA Chile drove these results. BBVA’s diversified model and the transformation strategy are behind this positive evolution and of the improvements in efficiency.
What are the main highlights of BBVA's earnings for 2018? First of all, BBVA set a goal of having more than half of its customers bank through digital channels in 2018. And it met this goal. As of the end of December, 51 percent of the bank’s customers do their banking on digital channels, such as smartphones, tablets or on the bank website.
- Transformation: More than half of BBVA customers are digital, meeting the target set for 2018
- Income: Operating income grew 6.2 percent at constant exchange rates, thanks to the increase in recurring revenues and cost discipline
- Risks: BBVA showed strength in risk indicators, with an NPL ratio declining to 3.9 percent, and a coverage ratio of 73 percent
- Solvency: At the end of December, the fully-loaded CET1 ratio stood at 11.3 percent
- Shareholder value creation: The tangible book value per share plus dividends grew 10.1 percent in 2018, while the ROE increased to 11.6 percent
- Dividend: A cash payment in a gross amount of €0.16 per share, to be paid in April as final dividend for 2018, is expected to be proposed for the consideration of the competent governing bodies
Che Goff knows Corpus Christi. One could surmise that the newly-appointed BBVA Compass Corpus Christi City President got to where he is because of his attachment to the place he calls home.
Global Finance selected Garanti Bank as the Best Trade Finance Bank in Turkey for the 9th year in a row. The magazine – one of the world’s leading financial publications – recognized the bank’s experience and leadership in foreign trade financing.
Banks play a fundamental role in the planet’s sustainability due to their ability to finance sustainable activities and manage risks. This was the main topic discussed at a panel in Davos, Switzerland in which José Manuel González-Páramo participated. BBVA’s Executive Board Member and Head of Global Economics and Public Affairs encouraged all banks to join the Principles for Responsible Banking to press for this change. In his opinion, these principles give banks the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to society.