30 Oct 2023
On October 29,1923, the Turkish state was established as a republic following the Turkish Grand National Assembly’s approval of the constitutional amendment, which was proposed by Atatürk. Türkiye has commemorated Republic Day every October 29th since then, with Northern Cyprus and international delegations and dignitaries participating in the celebrations.
20 Apr 2021
Carlos Torres Vila, Group Chairman
- Sustainability: Banks have a key role in “analyzing investment opportunities and managing the risks associated” to climate change
- Sale of the U.S. subsidiary: “We have an extraordinary position of strength, which gives us tremendous strategic optionality to continue creating value for shareholders”
- Dividend: “We propose to the AGM the approval of the agreements required to implement a share buyback plan of up to 10 percent of the Group’s shares once the sale of our U.S. subsidiary is closed”
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Digitization: “Our focus on creating end-to-end digital solutions and processes has been key to reaching new clients, which is one of our strategic priorities”
- Capital: Following the sale of the U.S. subsidiary, BBVA will be “one of Europe’s best capitalized banks, with the largest margin between our capital position and the minimum requirement”
- Team: “We continue fostering inclusion and diversity, because we are convinced that it makes us better, as a company and as a society”
30 Sep 2020
BBVA is a customer-centric global financial services group founded in 1857. The Group has a strong leadership position in the Spanish market, is the largest financial institution in Mexico and it has leading franchises in South America. It is also the leading shareholder in Turkey’s Garanti BBVA and has an important investment, transactional and capital markets banking business in the U.S. Its purpose is to bring the age of opportunities to everyone, based on our customers’ real needs: provide the best solutions, helping them make the best financial decisions, through an easy and convenient experience.
13 Mar 2020
BBVA shareholders have backed the Group’s corporate management in 2019 with 99.4 percent of the votes at the Annual General Meeting, held on Friday in Bilbao. Quorum has been the highest in the bank’s history: 66.83 percent.
Carlos Torres Vila, Group executive chairman
- Excellent figures: “In 2019 BBVA posted its highest net attributable profit of the past decade without one-offs”
- New strategic priorities: We want “to improve our clients’ financial health and help them transition toward a sustainable future”
- Dividend: BBVA is proposing at the AGM a complementary gross cash dividend of €0.16 per share. The total dividend for the year stands at €0.26 per share, which reflects a 36 percent of attributable profit, excluding the impact of the goodwill adjustment in the U.S.
Onur Genç, Chief executive officer
- Business model: “Once again, we have demonstrated the strength of our diversified model”
- Profitability: “We are number one in terms of profitability,” among 15 largest European banks
17 Jun 2019
Statement from BBVA chairman Carlos Torres Vila at the opening of the course organized by the Spanish Association of Financial Journalists (APIE) at the Menéndez Pelayo International University in Santander.
13 Jun 2019
Creating Opportunities. This is the BBVA motto and the strategy behind the Group's rebranding. Launched across the bank’s footprint, the new logo is the "physical and tangible" element that represents – both internally and externally – the transformation undertaken by the Group.
11 Jun 2019
Why a change now? When will I receive a card with the new logo? Will my local branch change? What new services will be offered in my country? Will I see changes in the mobile banking app? If you don't want to miss out on what the new BBVA brand offers you, keep reading.
20 Dec 2018
The BBVA Group today named Javier Rodriguez Soler as CEO for BBVA Compass and country manager for the Group’s U.S. operations, following the appointment of Onur Genç as BBVA Group CEO. The appointment will provide continuity to the execution of the bank’s current strategy and continue the strong momentum the bank has built in the U.S.
The Board of Directors of BBVA today approved the appointments of Carlos Torres Vila as Group’s executive chairman, and of Onur Genç as CEO. The Board also approved a new organizational structure, thus completing the succession plan that ensures the continuity of BBVA’s transformation strategy, following the departure of Francisco González.
27 Jul 2018
Türkiye Garanti Bankası A.Ş. announced its financial statements for the first half to June 30, 2018. On a consolidated financial basis, in the first six months of 2018, Garanti had assets of TL384.878 billion, while its contribution to the economy through cash and non-cash loans increased to TL319.244 billion. The Bank’s ROAE (Return on Average Equity) was 18.1 percent and ROAA (Return on Average Assets) 2.1 percent.
17 Jul 2018
19 Feb 2018
BBVA's presence in Switzerland dates back 25 years – a quarter century during which the bank has accompanied its clients, advising them on the management of their wealth and the diversification of their investments. It's the only bank in the BBVA Group devoted exclusively to private banking, offering a superb value proposition in international asset management.
19 Dec 2017
Christmas and New Year’s are coming and with them, new resolutions and new dreams. BBVA wants to celebrate these holidays by recalling that opportunities are within everyone’s reach, in line with the company’s corporate purpose: “To bring the age of opportunity to everyone. "
12 Dec 2017
BBVA Francés is fully immersed in its transformation to digital banking. This year, the bank moved into a modern tower in Buenos Aires, where it is growing as a company, both culturally and in terms of teamwork. Customer experience is setting the pace of change towards a mobile future. For CEO Martín Zarich, the customer experience sets the pace towards a changeable future. In his opinion: "the moment is now, not in five years' time".
11 Dec 2017
In April 2010, when smartphone penetration was still very low in Argentina, BBVA Francés launched an innovative communication channel to be closer to its customers. FrancésGo was the first mobile channel in the financial sector. It allowed customers to obtain information about BBVA Francés card promotions by text message (SMS that all types of devices could receive), segmented by area, type and brand. At the time, customers had to send the word “GO” to a four-digit number. And that's how it all started.
The oldest private domestic bank in Argentina and one of the leaders in Latin America, BBVA Francés on October 14 marked its 130th year in operation and its 21st year as part of the BBVA Group. In the course of its history, BBVA Francés has gone from being a 20th century “temple of money,” to a powerhouse of digital banking in the Argentina of the 21st century.
04 Dec 2017
BBVA has appointed María Abascal as Global Director of Institutional Relations. Abascal brings to the post more than 15 years of experience in the analysis of economic, financial, regulatory and institutional affairs in the public and private sector. Prior to her new appointment, since June 2010 she had been BBVA Research’s Chief Economist for Regulation and Public Policies.
17 Nov 2017
The Bilbao headquarters of BBVA was one of the stops on a tour of Spain by future U.S. leaders. BBVA is the only Spanish financial institution involved in the “U.S. Young Leaders” program, which was launched in 2000 by Fundación Consejo España-Estados Unidos and the US-Spain Council.
27 Oct 2017
- Operating income: Recurring revenues continued their upward trend, growing 4.2% between January and September. This, together with cost containment efforts (expenses dropped 1.7% in the year to September), drove operating income to a record €9.52 billion
- Risks: The NPL ratio continued to improve, reaching 4.5% in September (vs. 4.8% in June), the lowest level in the past five years. Coverage increased to 72%
- Capital: The fully-loaded CET1 ratio rose to 11.2% in September, reflecting a capital generation of 30 basis points in the first nine months of the year
- Transformation: The digital customer base grew 24% y-o-y to 21.1 million in September. Of these, the number of customers banking with their smartphones surged 43% to 15.8 million
25 Oct 2017
BBVA Group Executive Chairman Francisco González, and the Chairman of the CAF -Latin American Development Bank-, Luis Carranza, signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that strengthens their ties in Latin America and formalizes the existing institutional relationship the two organizations have shared for many years.
29 Sep 2017
BBVA Group Executive Chairman Francisco González sent a message of solidarity to Mexico on behalf of the Group after the recent earthquakes. “Mexico’s response in the wake of these natural disasters should be an inspiration to all, it has been exemplary,” said Francisco González during his visit to Mexico City, where he paid tribute to the country’s strength and reaffirmed BBVA’s commitment to Mexico, especially at times like this.
18 Jul 2017
Spain’s capital will for the first time host the Service Design Global Conference (SDGC17), the leading event in service design.
04 Jul 2017
The BBVA Innovation Centre hosts a new edition of “Design Wednesday”. In it, experts address the role of design in customer interactions with products and services.
23 Jun 2017
That’s the mission of Rob Brown, head of Marketing, Design and Responsible Business at BBVA. He shared it with the attendees at the IV Edition of Experience Fighters, one of the most important User Experience (UX) & Innovation meetings in Spain.
20 Jun 2017
02 Jun 2017
BBVA has made design a strategic function within the organization. Digital banking and the development of latest-generation digital products and services have made financial services evolve towards a new model – one that is closer, more humane and focused on the customer.
27 Apr 2017
Türkiye Garanti Bankası A.Ş., announced its financial statements dated March 31, 2017. Based on the consolidated financials, in the first three months of 2017, the Bank posted a consolidated net income of TL 1.54 billion. While Garanti’s asset size reached TL 328.69 billion, its contribution to the Turkish economy through cash and non-cash lending exceeded TL 269.26 billion. The Bank’s ROAE (Return on Average Equity) improved to 18.9% and ROAA (Return on Average Assets) to 2.1%.